Editing the Wikipedia Article about You or Your Company
“You are discouraged from writing articles about yourself or organizations (including their campaigns, clients, products and services) in which you hold a vested interest. However, if you feel that there is material within an existing article which is incorrect, or not neutral in its tone, you should point this out on the article’s talk page.”
In short, editing the Wikipedia page about your own company is discouraged, as Wikipedia wants to ensure its content is unbiased.
Before making a decision regarding editing your own, or your brand’s wiki page, consider the risk of getting called out for editing your own Wikipedia page. The Wikipedia community frowns on these articles, calling them COI: Conflict of Interest.
Always keep in mind:
- Edits to Wikipedia pages should focus on adding relevant content and correcting errors.
- Your IP Address and/or username will be recorded and can be seen by others. So it is never a good idea to edit Wikipedia pages about one’s own firm, using a company-owned IP address.
- Determine if there is significant interest in the Wikipedia article. Is it being tracked by other editors? Will edits potentially trigger alerts for these editors?
NEW! WikiAlerts™ – Track your Wikipedia page/s and get real-time change notifications. Click here for Wikipedia Tracking.
For help in addressing your Wikipedia challenge, please Contact Us. We have helped many companies and individuals navigate Wikipedia and would be happy to discuss your options.
We are happy to set up a quick call and provide you with a free assessment of your current situation and recommended approach.
Do you need help editing your company or personal Wikipedia page?
A few words about how we work with Wikipedia editors:
- We work with clients to create and submit factual content that may have been missed by Wikipedia editors. We also suggest corrections for mistakes and vandalism.
- We consult with Wikipedia editors to ensure that proposed edits meet the terms of service and appropriately represent client interests.
- We carefully consider timing. Introducing a Wikipedia page in advance of a crisis may be a good idea, while doing so in the middle of crisis could backfire.
For a free consultation regarding your brand’s Wikipedia challenge, Contact Us and let us know how we can help. If you prefer to speak by phone, send us a quick note and we will call you back!
NEW – WikiAlerts™ Track your Wikipedia page/s and get real-time change notifications. Click here for Wikipedia Tracking.
How can I edit or fix an error on Wikipedia?
While anyone can edit Wikipedia, editors are suspicious of articles that appear to contain conflict of interest (self-serving) edits. Here’s how we recommend getting essential changes made.
How can I create a Wikipedia page?
Wikipedia has strict standards for notability (who deserves a page), citations (proving facts with sources), and conflict of interest (impartial information), and many pages get challenged. It is therefore wise to consult with professionals.
Can you edit your own Wikipedia page?
The goal of the Wikipedia project is to be a comprehensive source for objective information, and editors are highly suspicious of articles that appear self-serving. Here’s how we recommend you go about getting edits made.
Who can edit a Wikipedia page?
Any edits to Wikipedia articles which add false, insulting, or inflammatory information or language in a deliberate manner are vandalism. If your page has been vandalized, read here about what you can do.
Can I see who edited a Wikipedia page?
To find editor names, go to the ‘View History’ tab at the top right of the Wikipedia page. The name of the editor appears next to each change, right after the date. Click on that name, and you will find out anything the editor has chosen to share with the public.