Editing the Wikipedia Article about You or Your Company: How to? Or If?
Clients often ask how they can (or if they should) edit their brand’s Wikipedia article.
“You are discouraged from writing articles about yourself or organizations (including their campaigns, clients, products and services) in which you hold a vested interest. However, if you feel that there is material within an existing article which is incorrect, or not neutral in its tone, you should point this out on the article’s talk page.”
In short, editing the Wikipedia page about your own company is discouraged, as Wikipedia’s policy is set to ensure its content is unbiased.
Before making a decision regarding editing your own, or your brand’s, Wikipedia page, consider the risk of getting called out for editing your own Wikipedia page. The Wikipedia community frowns on these articles, calling them COI: Conflict of Interest.
Always keep in mind before editing:
- Edits to Wikipedia pages should focus on adding relevant content and correcting errors.
- Your IP Address and/or username will be recorded and can be seen by others. Therefore, it is never a good idea to edit Wikipedia pages about one’s own firm, using a company-owned IP address.
- Determine if there is significant interest in the Wikipedia article. Is it being tracked by other editors? Will edits potentially trigger alerts for these editors?
Individuals and brands can not edit or influence their own Wikipedia pages. What you can do, however, is to be proactive in the following ways:
- You can monitor Wikipedia and track Wikipedia pages of competitors. Tracking Wikipedia pages enables interested parties to understand how Wikipedia works, how to edit or update (other) Wikipedia articles, and how the general flow of such practices works.
- Who gets to have a Wikipedia page? If you are interested in having your own Wikipedia page, and currently do not, you can work to position yourself as “notable” according to Wikipedia standards. This involves garnering a significant amount of reliable secondary sources independent of the subject. This is the key to positioning an individual or company for inclusion in Wikipedia.
- If a Wikipedia page about you or your brand includes erroneous information or incomplete details, you can leave a note on the talk page to ask one of the editors to correct the issue in their next edit. Look at the names of recent editors of the article from the history, and message them directly, or leave a message at the central Wikipedia help page.
For a free consultation regarding your brand’s Wikipedia challenge, Contact Us and let us know how we can help.
Five Blocks’ WikiAlerts™ tool lets you monitor selected Wikipedia page/s and get real-time edit and traffic notifications to your e-mail, for free. Try it now!