Editing the Wikipedia Article about You or Your Company
“You are discouraged from writing articles about yourself or organizations (including their campaigns, clients, products and services) in which you hold a vested interest. However, if you feel that there is material within an existing article which is incorrect, or not neutral in its tone, you should point this out on the article’s talk page. If you have content which you think should be added, please discuss this on the talk page.”
In short, editing the Wikipedia page about your own company is discouraged, as Wikipedia wishes to ensure that its content is not perceived to be biased.
Before making a decision regarding editing your own, or your brand’s wiki page, consider the risk of getting called out for editing your own Wikipedia page. The Wikipedia community frowns on these articles, calling them COI: Conflict of Interest.
Should you do decide to update your brand’s Wikipedia page, keep the following in mind:
- Edits to Wikipedia pages should focus on adding relevant content and correcting errors.
- Your IP Address and/or username will be recorded and can be seen by others. So it is never a good idea to edit Wikipedia pages about one’s own firm, using a company-owned IP address.
Determine if there is significant interest in the Wikipedia article. Is it being tracked by other editors? Will edits potentially trigger alerts for these editors?
For help in addressing your Wikipedia challenge, feel free to Contact Us.
We are happy to set up a quick call and provide you with a free assessment of your current situation and recommended approach.
Do you need help editing your company or personal Wikipedia page?
Five Blocks has assisted hundreds of companies and individuals in creating, editing, and active tracking of Wikipedia pages.
We work with Wikipedia editors in three ways:
- We focus on creating and submitting positive content that may have been missed,
as well as correcting mistakes and vandalism.
- We work with Wikipedia editors to ensure that our clients’ Wikipedia pages meet
the terms of service and properly represent their interests.
- We carefully discuss timing with our editors. Introducing a Wikipedia page in advance of a crisis
may be a good idea, while doing so in the middle of crisis can backfire.
For a free consultation regarding your brand’s Wikipedia challenge, Contact Us and let us know how we can help.